Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Yikes! I survived!

Well, I've now been up for something around 30 hours, and it's been a looong day (or a short 2 days, I suppose), but I thought I'd write something here so everybody knows I'm alright and made it over okay. Flights from Toronto to San Francisco and then to Osaka went pretty smoothly, although I was pretty sore by the end of all that flying. I got to know quite a few of the other teachers heading over as well, so that made it a bit easier. Things to a bit more hectic in Osaka, and one of our shuttles was late, which caused us to miss the train we were scheduled to take originally, and caused me to nearly trample a little girl to death as we dashed madly through the station to try chasing down a train. Anyway, it took a bit longer, but I finally got to my new place around 10pm local time (which is 9am in Canada), and am just settling in a bit before I got to bed. Anyway, I'll write more completely tomorrow when I'm a bit less tired.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I posted a reply earlier but don't see it on here...Just to let you know that we're happy you've arrived safely and to keep in touch.
Hope the job is secure...You've probabbly got a better feel for things after meeting your new room mates.
Take care,
Love
Dad

Anonymous said...

I knew it would be a long day but it was even longer because of the train I guess. Poor little girl! Was it one of Japan's famous hi-speed trains?
I'm glad you have arrived safely and can finally sleep and then start getting into a routine. Did you speak any Japanese? And what did you eat during your 30 hours. Ebony made it okay to Ottawa but not before squawking for 4 hours. Thank goodness she gave me a couple of quiet hours on the way. I'll email you soon. Let me know how your training goes.

Maureen said...

Ha ha, remember, they're ALL "little" girls over there. ;)

Can't wait to hear about your wacky adventures!

iphynx said...

I don't really know any japanese to try speaking yet, mostly I just point at things and look helpless and wait for them to be sympathetic and figure out what I need. Nova was actually really good about having somebody meet up with us and walk us through everything. We took one of the bullet trains from Osaka to Hiroshima, which was an interesting leg, but I don't think it was one of the best ones.

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to watching you grow in a whole new dimension...Pointing and waiting for a sympathetic response are so unlike you but I understand what you're saying,,,I have great faith in your ability to problem solve and I know you'll have a great year.
Dad