Friday, September 21, 2007

From a Whisper to a Roar

I haven't really spoken about this, because it's depressing and I'm sure people already worry enough about me, but it's getting too critical now to not say anything. I mentioned earlier on before I left how there were concerns about Nova going under. When I first got here, the people I spoke to were of the impression that it was a concern, but that Nova would probably pull through, and that it wasn't too huge a worry. Now as things have gotten worse though, it's looking more and more possible that Nova might not be able to come back. It's particularily frustrating for me, because should it go under and should I decide to stay in Japan, I'll be competing with a huge market of other abandoned Nova employees, all who have far more connections and far more experience than I do. Really, the best bet is that Nova either gets bought out and rearranged by somebody else who has money to spend on them, or they scale things back, cut their losses and just try to stabalize things. The problem is that either of those still might result in me losing my job, or having to go without pay for a considerable amount of time - and I don't really have the financial support to survive that. I'm hoping to learn more when I go in for my orientation Monday, and hopefully get a feel for where to go from there. I'm partly just frustated at myself, for my own hubris in assuming when I first heard whispers of problems right from the start, that Nova was big enough and had enough resources that I didn't really need to worry about it. Oh well - in the worst case scenario, I'll get to hang out in Japan for a few weeks, and even if I return home broke and jobless, it's not like I haven't been in that position before. I plan to make the most of things while I'm here though, and save what money I can to either survive until I'll be able to get paid, or to spend travelling a bit around Japan before heading home, should things work out that way.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Richard,
This is not good news but let's wait and see what you find out next week.
Does your old email address still work or are you on Skype.
I'd like to help you work things out but have to talk to you. Worst case scenario...call collect 519-794-4629...plus international code for canada....Won't be home tommorow but should be around on Sunday.
Hang in there...you'll be fine!
Dad

Anonymous said...

We were aware of this possibility and I know you'll make the best of the situation. Yes, I'll worry but you know me.
I'm back in Toronto and finally have access to a decent internet connection. We've really enjoyed the photos and commentary. You certainly show a lot of talent in the "travelogue" writing area.
Hopefully, Nova's situation will rsolve itself. Keep us informed.

--Todd said...

It's not as much a tragedy as it seems. Worst case scenario is that you ended up with an interesting vacation in Japan and we get our much desired employee. I can't guarantee anything of course but 99% you have a job with us if you want it and if you come back sooner rather than later we are all the more happy.