Saturday, September 29, 2007

And so it begins.

Today was my first full day of teaching, so I suppose I'm officially a Nova Drone now. I've completed 14 full classes now (8 of them today) and am getting more comfortable with things. Things went well, but it was a long day. I left for work at 11am or so, and got home around 9:40pm. Tomorrow is likely to be even longer as I have to travel across town for it. Even though I've only been at Honko for a few days, I'm going to miss some of the people. I was just getting to the point where I knew some of the students and japanese staff by name, and now I'll need to go learn an entire new batch of people. The kid classes are still daunting, but I'm sure once I get a couple out of the way I'll get used to them just like everything else. We're going out for some fancy Korean barbecue party tomorrow as a going away party for somebody leaving Japan, but I'll write more on that tomorrow.
The titled instructors finally got paid yesterday, which makes me slightly more optimistic about my chances at getting paid in 2 weeks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on surviving the first week. You'll soon be comfortable with the new crowd as well. Will you be teaching at the new location for the rest of the year?

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Glad you've finally been able to get started...You've been through alot in the past few days and hopefully life will get a little easier as it becomes more routine.
I'm shooting my first "official" wedding this this afternoon at Cobble Beach. I've taken lots of wedding pics before but this one I'm getting paid for and therefore have the added responsibility of documenting someones' special day.
I think things should go well though and at least the weather here is good...sunny and 17 C right now..
I'm looking forward to hearing about the barbeque.

Emily said...

Hey!!! Glad to hear you are surviving in Japan and I love the pictures! I had to catch up and read all of them because I thought I had lost the address . . . then I realized my google desktop actually saves it and lists all of your new postings, so yeah I felt kind of retarded. How much Japanese have you learned? I am looking at going on an exchange to France next year but don't know much of the language, although I am really eager to learn.
Is it still warm there? It was 11 degrees here in North Bay today so it was definitely a sweater day. Anyways, gotta go friends are bugging me but keep on writing I love this blog!!!

iphynx said...

It's cooled down a bit. Temperatures are still consistantly above 20 degrees though. In terms of Japanese, all I've really learned are a few odd words that I need to learn a lot, but i'm looking into places to take lessons now.