Sunday, September 16, 2007

Uncertainties

As if moving across the world to a foreign country wasn't cause for enough concerns, it appears that the company I'm going to be working for is on the verge of collapse. They were late paying some of their employees this month, and it sounds like both teachers and students are losing faith in the company and taking off. I've already heard that some of the people I was scheduled to be going over with are backing out, and it certainly makes me worry about the future, as I'm scheduled to leave in 2 days. I've put the last 6 months into planning this out, and I don't intend to back out now, but I have no clue what I'm going to do if I get there only to have them shut down shortly after. At least I have my passport and work visa, and if the worst happens, I can always look for work elsewhere in the country. Hopefully I'll get a better idea of what exactly is going on when I get there and can speak to some other people working for the company.
-Richard

3 comments:

Maureen said...

Yikes, that is scary. Asia though is crazy about English teachers, so you'll be guaranteed to find a place.

If you're looking for a bit of a safety net before going, I know that the Travel Cuts SWAP program has an exchange with Japan. You should contact them and find out who their affiliate in Japan is. They tend to have resources available for foreigners.

Dyne1319 said...

Yeah that sucks. U gotta hold out until after i have come and gone in april tho. But i hope everything goes smoothly.

don said...

Hi Richard.
I think you're in mid flight right now and you've been on my mind all day...I know...don't worry Dad...I'm resilient....Believe it or not,...I'm not at all worried...a bit concerned maybe, but I have total confidence in your problem solving skills.
Check into the nearest Candian Consolate though, and please keep in touch.
Wish I'd done this at your age!
Love you,
Dad

and keep notes...you won't ever remember all you have to say