Sunday, September 23, 2007

Hiroshima Castle

As promised, I headed off for Hiroshima Castle. The baseball stadium and a big swimming complex/park were along the way, so I wandered through that area for a bit. The park was full of all these little subcultures which was neat. One corner would have all the guys freestyle biking and skateboarding, and then under a little walkway you'd have another group rapping and dancing, and there was a group of people doing Tai Chi over by one of the fountains. A couple of blocks further in I came to this big long walled in area that stretched the entire block. I couldn't see over the wall, but I could see big lights overhead, and kept thinking "tennis courts? tennis courts? tennis..." and was rewarded when I finally found a way to sneak in. Now I just need to find some people to play with.




My sports expedition complete, I marched onwards towards the castle. This is just the outer wall near where the bridge is. Just a side note, but before I actually crossed the moat, I stopped at a vending machine and got this grape drink, and was a bit surprised when I discovered it actually had grapes floating in it. It was alright, but the texture was unusual.

On my way across I encountered the ferocious guardians of the moat. There were big white fish as well, but the pictures I took didn't turn out (it's hard to take pictures of things in the water as it's getting dark out).

Wandering around the castle complex I came across a bunch more crabs, and as I had my camera equipped this time, I thought I'd take a picture of one, since I mentioned them before.

Finally, after crossing 2 bridges and ascending a few staircases I got to the main castle itself. I couldn't actually go in, but it was interesting anyway.

After the trip and some dinner, I went out with various people to a little cafe and had drinks and dessert crepes. A bit pricey for what it was, but the crepes were great.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

H,
Hiroshima castle sounds pretty interesting....Is it closed to the public though? I don't understand why you couldn't get in.
Sounds like every outing brings some new adventure...I'm glad you found tennis courts and I'm sure you'll soon find someone to play with.
It's been beautiful here this weekend...We were out on The Bruce Trail both yesterday and today and I got some really good pictures of a rock climber in Kimberly..
Am also sending you an email.
Good luck with you orientation tomorrow...Hope ther is no more bad news.
Dad

Anonymous said...

Just show up with your tennis racket and someone may approach you--maybe they'll want to practise their English!