Friday, September 21, 2007

I'm going to try doing this in 2 parts, first with my account of today, and then posting all the backlog of pictures from yesterday.
Today turned out to be pretty strange. On further inspection I found that Nova recommends I just fill out some paperwork and then get them to help me open a bank account during orientation, so I decided to leave that for now. I went to the big computer/electronics store and couldn't find the cable I needed, but they had just regular SD-card readers, so I bought one of those for really cheap. I then headed to the Peace Garden/Park, and started wandering around. Shortly in, I got to the children's peace monument which is surrounded by glass cases with thousands and thousands of colourful paper cranes.





So as I was standing there checking things out, this group of middle-aged Japanese women accosted me, and asked me if I'd mind sitting with them and speaking to them for awhile so they could practice their English. I thought it would be cool, as I could get to know some people and learn more about the city. So we spoke for quite awhile about random things, and were eventually interrupted by this group of young kids that were just starting to learn English and were on a field trip requiring them to practice English and get responses about a variety of questions. A lot of them were pretty shy, but it was great practice for when my teaching starts, and I ended up helping probably 5 or 6 of them with their schoolwork. The group of women I was helping with ended up treating me to lunch at a nearby coffee/pastry shop where I had a sandwich, some cheese/sesame seed big rice cracker thing, and an iced coffee (which are supposedly really popular here). They were extremely friendly, and it was nice to meet some locals and get a free meal! Supposedly I have very pretty eyes and they're envious of my eye-lashes (??) In the end, I didn't get to see much of the park, but it's super close, so it just leaves more to do for later.


Assuming this post works properly, I'll post the pictures from yesterday next.

No comments: