Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Nova Update

Well, at least Nova has a plan (sort of) now. I'm not going to go into details, but they can be read at http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aZJwOzEj45Bs for a general idea. Hopefully it means that people will get paid, although we've been warned it might be a bit late. The bad part for me is that I now realize that even if I do get paid, it will only be a very small amount (from Sept. 25 - Sept. 30), and all of that might be sucked up by various deductions from my pay. It means that I'll probably need to make the money I have left stretch until mid/late November, which severely narrows my window to find new work in Japan should anything happen to Nova. At least I'll know by the end of October whether Nova is likely to immediately close down - but all along I'd been telling myself that financially I would be ok if I could get my first pay, and now I'm realizing that's not quite the situation. Fun to be worrying about survival on your birthday. Anyway, I've decided to severely cut back on spending until I have a better idea what's going on. It kind of sucks because it will mean cutting back on socializing a lot, but I'll still try to find ways to hang out and have fun cheaply. Not the most exciting of posts, but I need to complain every now and then. I'm hoping to go to Miyajima tomorrow, so that will be more interesting to write about.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Richard;
Just a quick birthday wish from Calgary to Japan. Your mom sent us your blog address and we have been checking it out from time to time. Hope all works out in the end with the company you are with. We are all well. Love being grandparents-have had 4 visits together over the past 6 months and will enjoy another 3 before the new year, despite them living in BC. Erin and Adam are also parents, of sorts, to a chocolate lab pup. Very cute! Keep well.
Aunt Marilyn and Uncle Ron

Anonymous said...

Hi Richard,
Happy Birthday,,,
Your news doesn't sound encouraging but hopefully there is better news ahead. I,m still in Orillia but will send you an email when I get home tonight....Hang in there son.
Dad