Thursday, October 18, 2007

As for winning at the end, this power.

Today is the conclusion of my first month in Hiroshima! By now, I've seen most of the big touristy things around, so today I had decided to do something a little different. I bought a one day streetcar pass, which gives you unlimited use of all streetcar line all day, and more or less just started taking random streetcars, getting off at random places, and wandering around. Sometimes I would just wander around for 15 minutes and get back on the next car, sometimes I would go on long walks for 2 hours and find my way back, and sometimes I would just walk from one stop to the next and see what was between. Mostly I stuck to the route 2 line, which heads out of the main part of the city, and has a lot of residential area. Because of the randomness of the activity, I coherent dialogue of events is impossible, so I'll just post a bunch of pictures and explain what was going on for that picture.


The schoolboys smoking under the bridge. It's just like home!

Japansese love their bridges. I tried getting a picture with this pretty white bird, but it kept flying away, so I just snapped the bridges instead.

Some schoolgirls. The entire Japanese school uniform system is so much cooler than the uniform system they use in North American private schools. The uniforms are better, and it's neat how every school has a unique uniform. I think the reasoning behind having uniforms in the two countries is completely different.


Random picture near a bus station.


Another random picture. I know I take a lot of these pictures looking down at the city, but there's so many hills/mountains everywhere that I can't help it! The water and islands in the background always look so cool.

(continued...)

1 comment:

Emily said...

Hey love the pictures! And happy belated birthday. Sounds like you are having an awesome time in Japan and I had no idea there was so many hiking trails there.
Did you end up getting paid yet?