Thursday, October 11, 2007

Miyajima (Part 2)

So here is the famous torii. Because the tide was out the area around it was sandy. I didn't get down and walk up to it, because I didn't really see much point. There were a lot of tour groups and stuff around too, so I didn't really stick around too long. As with all big scenic places, the major part of Miyajima was pretty touristy in general, with lots of little gift shops.


Looming above it all were the mountains - Mt. Misen most of all. More on that later...

I wandered around some of the temples, gardens and other buildings in the immediate area. There's a lot of emphasis on traditional architecture. They even have all these intricate stone channels to control water flow - all made of old stone blocks pieced together.

One of the major paths was labelled as going to the aquarium and some park, so I decided to follow it. The aquarium looked interesting, it is supposedly one of the largest in western Japan, but it was another 1000 yen to get in, and I decided to pass it up this time around. I went to the park instead, and wandered around it for awhile.



(Only one part left!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I'm glad you got to Miyajima and enjoyed yourself for the day. Great pictures and interesting commentary. I'm looking forward to Part 3.