Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Kyoto (Day 1)

Today I just wanted to take some time and explore the city a bit. I ended up going to the Imperial Palace Park and wandering around there for a bit. Unfortunately the actual palace part is closed to public. The park itself reminded me a bit of the Plains of Abrahama, in that it had a lot of open space and seemed to be a popular place for people to hang out or have picnics. I then walked to Ginkakuji - the silver shrine, and checked out the shine and garden there. So far I think the various gardens are my favourite part of Japan. I wandered back through Gion and walked along the river for a good stretch. I figure in total I probably walked 20-25km today, and my feet were feeling it. I don't really like taking buses, because you miss out on the feel of the city if you're just shuttling back and forth between touristy places. I think I'll take the middle ground and rent a bicycle tomorrow so I can see more without spending all day walking from one place to another. I also need to mark down all the places I want to go on the map I have. I made up a list of places I wanted to see, but I don't really know where a lot of them are, and it would be much easier if I knew all the things in one area, and do them all at once.





2 comments:

Jeannetto said...

Sorry to hear you're going home, but that's awesome that you get to see all of Japan.
So you're landlord kicked you out? I dont even know who mine is, and rumour has it my apartment may or may not be paid up until the end of the year. It's funny, there's no one to call and ask.
Good luck with everything!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I've been checking out Kyoto on the internet...You sure have lots to see and do for the next couple of days...You're getting great pictures.
The Bakpak hostel / bus service looks to be pretty good too..Is that how you plan to go to Tokyo...Hope you get to see Mount Fuji on the way...It's not climbing season right now apparantly but you wouldn't have time for the climb anyway.
We got out first taste of snow today...Not much but the weather has changed...
I don't know if yo've been aware of what's happening to the Canadian $ but it hit $1.10 US last night.
Enjoy your visit in Kyoto.